…we're keeping our name but expanding our offerings!
Sense8 tells the story of eight strangers: Will (Smith), Riley (Middleton), Capheus (Ameen), Sun (Bae), Lito (Silvestre), Kala (Desai), Wolfgang (Riemelt) and Nomi (Clayton), each individual from a different culture and part of the world. While living their everyday lives they suddenly have a vision of the violent death of a woman called Angelica (Hannah) and find themselves reborn as Sensates; otherwise normal human beings who are mentally and emotionally conected being able to communicate, sense, use each other’s knowledge, language and skills. While trying to both live their lives and figure how and why this connection happened and what it means, a mysterious man named Jonas (Andrews) possessing the same ability tries to help the eight and protect them from another stranger called Whispers (Mann) who is similarly empowered and is hunting them down to tap into their psychic link and capture them all.
If you haven’t seen this series get ready to do it and prepare yourself to be amazed by pure awesome. Because this is what this is. AWESOME.
Sense8 is an original Netflix Series created by Andy and Lana Wachowski and Michael Straczynski. Starting with this you can imagine that this will not be easy to chew. The series is far from being simple and easy to understand. It has layers and it’s complicated, especially in the beginning.
But, what’s it about?
Well, the story revolves around 8 people that are from different places around the world. They have no knowledge of the existence of the other, and a first glance they have zero in common, until one day they come to share something. They all have the same dream, a vision in which a woman commits suicide. This is when our guys are reborn as Sensates. The woman who takes her life is Angelica, their sensate mother.
Let´s talk about the Sensates, yes?
1. Capheus – AKA Van Damme is an African guy. He lives in Nairobi. His devotion to his mother is beautiful. And the way he defends what he knows is right, the way he fights for those who need him the most, his ability to forgive are amazing.
2. . Kala – I ADORE her. She’s an Indian girl. A scientist and super devoted girl. She’s sweet, and caring, and loving, and for the life of me, she’s one of the most selfless characters I’ve seen on TV lately.
3. Lito – Beautiful, gorgeous, drama queen Lito. Lito is a Spanish actor living in Mexico City. He’s a huge telenovela star. The thing with Lito is that he has a secret, and that secret, has a name: Hernando. Yes *wink wink*
4. Nomi – Nomi is a trans woman who lives in San Francisco. She’s a hacktivist and he is fantastic. She has a bitch of a mother and I wish to see her gone. But she has the most amazing girlfriend ever: Amanita.
5. . Riley – She’s from Iceland, but currently living in London. Riley has a very sad past. She’s running from her memories and putting distance because she thinks that she’s protecting those she loves.
6. Sun – Well, this girl is particularly awesome. Sun is a Korean girl. She’s the daughter of a powerful business man, and she has to deal with lots of crap. She’s beautiful, and she can kick ass like no one else.
7. Will – Will is a police officer who lives in Chicago. Through the series we see some flashbacks from his childhood where a girl keeps coming up. And for the life of me I still don’t know what that means. But I think it will be important in the next season. Because there will be a next season, right? Rigth? RIGHT?
8. Wolfgang – He’s a German locksmith and safe cracker. He lives in Berlin and has a very close friend that I like a lot. He has issues with his dad, and his uncle. He´s tough, or seems to be, and he can kick some serious ass. According to some of my friends, he needs a change of haircut. We´ll see. :P
Ok, so those are the Sensates. Did you see what’s the fantastic thing about this series? Yep, diversity, baby! Yes, I know this isn’t the first series that features diverse characters, but it’s still pretty cool. I can’t speak for the other cultures, (though I’ve talked with some friends that are from some of them), but it seems to us that the representation is good. Also, the photography and landscapes are gorgeous.
Anyway, let’s go on.
These eight people are now part of a cluster. They start, unknowingly, sharing emotions, memories, and time and space with each other. They can see, hear, feel what the other is feeling. The same way they can share knowledge and skills. They can talk the language that the other speaks and use the abilities of the others, too.
Cool, right? Well, yeah… Not all is sunshine and rainbows.
Because they are a special kind of humans, they are hunted. If things were tricky in the beginning, they become trickier at this point. There are several people involved. Other Sensates that are more powerful, I guess, and these people want our guys gone. They are in constant danger and they have to start working with each other at a more conscious level. The people outside their cluster become confusing. It comes a point where you don’t know who is who and who’s the good guy or the bad guy. Or at least, that’s how it happened to me.
By the end of the series they are working in a sort of mission together. If they lose one of their cluster they will be incomplete. You don’t wanna lose one of yours, a part of yourself. They have to work together and lend each other their abilities so they can stay together.
The ending is pretty open… Because of this reason I want to think that Netflix will eventually work on a Second season. It cannot end like this. I refuse to believe so. I NEED MORE!
So there you go: Sense8 is an awesome series about eight people whose lives come together through time and space. Eight people that are now part of the other. Eight people who share group sing alongs even in the distance. Eight people of different cultures, race, orientations, that are living the same reality. A different reality than most of the world. They have a lot to learn, and they will learn through each other and for each other.
I want to have my own Cluster!!!
P.S – “I lost a flip flop” :P